Foley AL water damage restoration – If you have ever had to deal with water damage in Foley AL, here’s some tips for preventing future occurrences.
Tips for Preventing Future Water Damage
Refit Your House with Water-Resistant Building Materials
A Replace the materials in flood-prone areas of the house with materials such as stone, tile, sealed concrete, waterproof wallboard.
- Use galvanized or stainless-steel nails and fasteners.
- Put indoor/outdoor carpeting in basements.
- Fit a ‘Remote stopcock’ – giving you much better control over your mains water supply
- Use water-resistant glues.
Check for Leaks and Cracks
Almost all homes have leaks somewhere. Check around every door and window to ensure that the seals are watertight. Also look for discoloration in the paint and caulk. Additionally, look for swelling
around the frames.
- Replace shingles that are coming loose, and pay extra attention to areas around the chimney and vents.
- Seal any cracks in the foundation. Water in the foundation can cause serious damage to your home’s structure.
Fix Faulty Plumbing
- Another way to prevent future problems is to fix leaks. Any leaking pipes, clogged drains, and malfunctioning drainage systems should be fixed or replaced.
- While you’re at it, check washing machine and dishwasher hoses to make sure that they aren’t cracked.
- Where is your water heater located? Check pipes going to your water heater
- Toilets often have a slow leak around the wax seal. This is often caused by a toilet that is not properly seated and so it rocks slightly back and forth. Over time, this can cause a gradual leak which can cause problems especially on houses with a wood subfloor, rather than concrete.
Make sure that drainage pipes and gutters drain water away from the house, and that all the joints are all properly sealed.
- While most people have gutters, they are often not installed properly. If your gutters start overflowing after 15 minutes of sustained heavy rain, install additional downspouts to help with flow. In addition, make sure your gutters are clean so they can function properly.
- Also, make sure that the grounds around the house slope away from the home to keep water from the foundations and basement.
Raise Your Appliances
If your basement is prone to flooding, put your appliances on risers to keep them out of small floods.
- Raise anything that could get damaged: washer, dryer, furnace, water heater, wiring, and any personal items.
Filing a Claim
Call Your Insurance Agent Immediately
Make a List
List all of your damaged property at the beginning of the cleanup process. Include pictures and video evidence if possible.
- Because some things can’t wait, let your claims adjuster know you are disposing of health hazards. Contaminated food can be claimed. Make sure you tell your adjuster about it.
- In addition, it’s a good idea to keep samples. Sometimes you will meed to keep samples of damaged property, such as a piece of rug, for claim purposes.
Keep All of Your Receipts
Perhaps most important of all, you should keep your receipts so you can be reimbursed. During the cleanup process, keep receipts for all of your supplies and any services that you hire. Even motel bills for nights you can’t stay in the house count.
Foley AL Water Damage Restoration – Call The Professionals at Kwik Dry
In conclusion, there’s a lot you can do to prevent water damage. But if you have water damage now, you need to address the problem immediately. If you are in need of Foley AL water damage restoration, you can try to do it yourself, but why? The experienced professionals at Kwik Dry Inc will save you time and money, and get the job done right. Contact us today!